Development of functional feeds for better animal production
We explore agricultural by-products for the development of functional feeds. We found that the agricultural by-products rich in dietary fiber and/or polyphenols can be a good source for the improvement of animal health through the modulation of gut microbiota. For methane mitigation from ruminants, we identified the antimicrobial compounds from cashew nut shell liquid and gingko fruit and elucidated mode of action of modulation of rumen microbiota by those agents.
- Oh, S., Shintani, R., Koike, S., Kobayashi, Y. Ginkgo fruit extract as an additive to modify rumen microbiota and fermentation and to mitigate methane production. Journal of Dairy Science 100:1923-1934. 2017.
- Myint, H., Kishi, H., Iwahashi, Y., Saburi, W., Koike, S., Kobayashi, Y. Functional modulation of caecal fermentation and microbiota in rat by feeding bean husk as a dietary fibre supplement. Beneficial Microbes 9:963-974.2018.
- Watabe, Y., Suzuki, Y., Koike, S., Shimamoto, S., Kobayashi, Y. Cellulose acetate, a new candidate feed supplement for ruminant animals: In vitro evaluations. Journal of Dairy Science 101: 10929-10938.2018.
- Kang, S., Suzuki, R., Suzuki, Y., Koike, S., Nagashima, K., Kobayashi, Y. Rumen responses to dietary supplementation with cashew nut shell liquid and its cessation in sheep. Animal Science Journal 89: 1549-1555. 2018.
- Konda, S., Onodera, R., Kanchanasatit, E., Boonsaen, P., Sawanon, S., Nagashima, K., Suzuki, Y., Koike, S., Kobayashi, Y. Effect of cashew nut shell liquid feeding on fermentation and microbiota in the rumen of Thai native cattle and swamp buffaloes. Livestock Science 226: 99-106. 2019.
Research topic 1 | Development of functional feeds for better animal production
Research topic 2 | Exploration of gut microbiota: challenge for unraveling of microcosmos
Research topic 3 | Developmental mechanisms of gastrointestinal tract in cattle